Another element Formentera has in common with Ibiza is that the view of the sunset from the island’s western points is truly magical. But unlike Ibiza – which is fully equipped with its own ‘Sunset Strip’ and plenty of bars and restaurants capitalising on the nightly event – Formentera has a much more rustic, unspoiled approach to witnessing nature’s most breathtaking spectacles.
Our top five viewing points:
1. Es Ram– Formentera’s most beautiful eco resort just so happens to boast a rooftop chillout terrace that is designed for watching the sun go down in a truly relaxed setting. Just about as close to heaven as you can get.
2. Cala Saona – This Formentera beach is siutuated on the furthermost western tip of the island, so you can still be swimming in the sea as the sun comes down to water level and seems to melt in a blaze of golden glory. Or, even better, from your boat!
3. Blue Bar – this quirky little bar (yes, it’s all painted blue) boasts its own circualr sunset viewing platform, where nightly entertainment takes place between 7pm and 9pm and chillout DJs create a memorable sunset ambience you’ll never forget.
4. Piratabus– One of the reasons this iconic little beach shack is still standing 40 years after its inception is that one could never, ever get tired of watching sunset over Formentera from its vantage point on the hill. Laidback, super chilled and unforgettable.
5. 10.7 Beach Club – For those looking for a slightly more upmarket (yet still retaining that Bohemian Formentera feel) you can’t go past this gorgeous Italian beach restaurant on Playa Migjorn. The freshest seafood, outstanding wines and cocktails and an unbeatable view. Baci!