Dinner parties in the peak of summer require some serious menu planning skills – you want to impress with your culinary skills without sending guests into a food coma! We fell in love with the healthy and tasty summer salad of aubergine and pomegranate, with a slight middle eastern taste and tang, at The Giri Cafe in Ibiza’s north, and persuaded head chef Xavier Doménech Moreno to share his secrets with us…
INGREDIENTS (serves one – please adjust for multiple)
1/2 an aubergine, sliced (around 7 slices per serve)
Handful of watercress
Handful of mixed lettuce leaves
1 fresh pomegranate, seeded and juiced
Generous sprinkling of feta cheese
Olive oil, salt, pepper to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbs yoghurt
1. Roast the aubergine for ten minutes on a medium to high heat – no need to turn, just drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and wait for it to turn golden.
2. Mix fresh yoghurt with a teaspoon of turmeric – set aside as dressing.
3. Mix vinaigrette with pomegranate juice, salt and pepper to taste, until it forms an emulsion. Set aside.
4. Toss mixed leaves with the vinaigrette/pomegrante mix in a bowl to ensure even coverage.
5. Layer the aubergine and mixed leaves in a stack until you run out of aubergine slices then top with watercress, pomegranate seeds, sprinkle with feta and pine nuts and serve!