Keep it simple. Keep it manageable and keep it realistic. Here are eight top tips to help you stay on the straight and narrow with this one.
1. Invest in a nice new yoga mat – one which is a colour you like! And a few key pieces of comfy yoga clothing that you LIKE to put on would be nice too.
2. Set a dedicated space in your home. Just a space which you like to be in and, if possible, is a little out of the way. Fill it with a few items you like – a few inspiring things – maybe books which you are reading and enjoying (not just the trashy ones, the inspiring ones!), some images or your vision board. And if you don’t yet have one of these, then, make time to do one! They are incredible!
3. Download some music you love to listen to and which makes you feel calm and soft.
4. Buy a lovely fluffy blanket – (my personal favourite as it changed my world!) as the restorative elements of your yoga practice can be the keys. It’s amazing the incentive of a lovely fluffy blanket to wrap around you after practice.
5. Invest in some lovely oils – essential oils can be an incredible element of your yoga practice too. Take your time to choose which ones resonate with you and make you feel good!
6. Start small. Find a class or classes near you to attend. And stick to it. It’s amazing what the energy of a group and the support of a teacher can offer you in terms of sticking to your intentions! And then, try a daily practice at home to complement this – even if you have no idea where to start, there are plenty of really useful websites which offer you a daily resource for a 20-minute practice. Shiva Rae also has a beautiful DVD / download which features seven 20-minute interchangeable practices.
7. Use your yoga practice to set a daily intention before you begin your conscious breathing. Breath your intention in like a mantra. Daily, bite-size steps towards a big end goal are much more manageable.
8. Inhale, exhale and repeat. It sounds simple, yet so many of us forget the breath.