As Ibiza’s wellbeing scene continues to grow, so too do the types of therapies found in our favourite spas. One of the most welcome additions in the 2014 season is the introduction of Ayurdedic therapies at the in-house spa (open to one and all) of San Juan boutique hotel The Giri Residence.
Qualified therapist Ana Villanueva boasts a diploma in Ayurvedic Spa Therapies from the Ananda Spa Institute in Hyderabad in India, bringing with her a wealth of bespoke Ayurvedic lotions, potions, spices and remedies for her treatments – taking place within an ultra-tranquil, calm treatment room – plus the tools of the trade. Passionate about her craft, Ana offers traditional Ayurvedic body and beauty treatments, personal diet and lifestyle consulting, reflexology, yoga and meditation sessions at The Giri Spa.
But what is Ayurveda? We asked Ana to explain…
Ayurveda has existed for thousands of years – before modern medicine provided scientific evidence for the mind-body connection – and was developed by the sages of India to treat the person as a whole, not just a specific concern. It’s about balancing your physical, mental, emotional and energetic bodies and is one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body-health systems.
More than a system of treating illness, Ayurveda is the science of life. It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy, while realising their full human potential. We use bespoke oil treatments, massages, wraps, scrubs and rituals using carefully harvested herbs that correspond with your unique body Ayurvedic constitution – Vata, Pita or Kapha – to treat the whole person, following an analysis of the person. We ask a lot of questions about the digestion, sleep patterns, stress levels… small things but very important when determining someone’s constitution, so we use the right oils and powders. Then we get to work on the whole person…
Ayurvedic Massages at The Giri Spa
1. Full Body Oil Massage – nourishing the nervous system, perking up mental alertness and strengthening and lubricating joints and muscles., The oil used in this treatment – tailored to suit your constitution – helps remove toxins, increase energy and increase circulation.
2. Churnasweda – Using herbal leaves and powders placed in cotton bags to create massage pads, dipped in hot medicated oil, then massaged all over the body, this indulgent massage speeds up the detoxification process, loosens up stiff joints and leaves you in a total state of relaxation.
3. Indian Marma Head Massage – Using deep thumb and finger pressure, this deep therapeutic yet energising massage stimulates the circulatory, immune and nervous systems, restoring energy, releasing emotional and physical tension and leaving you in an enhanced state of relaxation.
4. Reflexology – An ancient art of Ayurvedic therapy based on a system of zones and reflex areas that correlate with areas of the body, applying pressure to these points promotes relaxation, improves circulation, encourages overall healing, empowers the immune system and reduces pain, tension and toxins, helping the body balance itself naturally.
Ayurvedic Beauty treatments at The Giri Spa
1. Herbal Facial Pack – Also called Mukhalepa, this deep cleansing and skin refining facial uses the healing and cleansing benefits of natural herbs and spices to balance and rejuvenate skin. The treatment includes a skin cleanse, exfoliation, stimulating face and head massage and can be 60 minutes of 90s minutes.
2. Udhvartan Body Scrub – A 90-minute full body scrub to soften and exfoliate the skin, leaving it renewed and glowing, with a freshly made paste of powdered herbs to suit your constitution, made with either rose water, oil, or dry massaged into the skin to detoxify, tone and purify.
3. Tanlepa Body Mask – A herbal mask is made to suit your Ayurvedic constitution from herbal root powders soaked in pure water or floral water, then applied to the whole body with an oil massage. This treatment has a healing effect on various skin conditions and improves complexion through gentle exfoliation, while nourishing and toning the skin.
4. Indian Foot Massage – The Marma Pada-Abhangya foot massage treats the energy points of the lower leg and feet, massaged to detoxify and rejuvenate the body as a whole. Afterwards an invigorating herbal foot scrub is applied to refresh the feet, followed by a herbal mask to nourish the skin while you relax with a head massage, to release negative emotions and mental blockage.
In addition, Ayurvedic Rituals are designed to suit your specific needs. For more information or to book an Ayurveda treatment, contact The Giri Residence via White Ibiza.