It’s true! Nothing makes me happier than a good old burst of rain, especially if it’s accompanied by thunder and lightning – as it is right now as I type! I know, I know… it’s not good for people on holidays, it’s not good for local businesses, it’s not good for our internet connections and it’s not good for our roads
But there are a few things the rain in Ibiza IS good for. Let me enlighten you…
1. More than anything, it’s good for the nature of the island. It’s so hot for the majority of the year here, that we should be embracing every last drop of water that hits our land, hills, forests, farms, plants, gardens and crops. “But the island NEEDS it,” you’ll hear every rain-happy local say to every soggy, disgruntled tourist. Just you wait – by Friday (my trusty weather app assures me tomorrow we’ll have more of the same), Ibiza will be lush, green and gorgeous once again.
2. It’s good for getting a massage. Or a facial. Or a manicure, pedicure, haircut, body treatment, some man-scaping… whatever kind of pampering makes you happy. Hell, call in the experts and get a spray tan if you’re worried about the lack of sun for a couple of days! If you’re brave enough to head outdoors, make an appointment at one of Ibiza’s famous day spas, but if you prefer to stay put, there are an army of mobile spa therapists who’ll come direct to your hotel, apartment or villa for a pampering session.
3. It’s good for holing up in a nice restaurant and indulging in fine cuisine while watching the storms roll by. Let’s face it – everyone’s got to eat at some point. You might be lucky enough to be in a hotel with yummy room service, or a couple of in-house restaurants, in which case you’re in luck. But if you’re in your villa with not much more than a few slices of bread to call lunch, then it’s worth braving the elements (call a taxi, or a driver to take you from door-to-door). My favourite places to seek refuge in a storm include El Chiringuito (surprisingly protected), Passion Café Santa Eulalia and The Giri Cafe for lunch or Cicale, Nagai and Bambuddha for dinner.
4. It’s good for shopping – well, as long as you have an umbrella! It’s not exactly as if Ibiza has a shopping mall (thank god), but it is a good excuse to hit the streets of Ibiza town, ducking in and out of doorways for shelter – you never know what you’ll find in the unique fashion, jewellery and interiors boutiques on the island. And now you have plenty of time to browse, since there’s no rush to get to the beach… and if you just can’t bear to leave the house, simply hit the online White Ibiza Boutique – you’ll find the very best Ibiza fashion and jewellery finds, and we’ll even brave the rain to deliver it directly to your door!
5. It’s good for hitting the gym or the yoga studio. Just because you’re on holiday doesn’t mean you have to ease up on the exercise schedule! Or perhaps you could find a meditation class to help quiet a rain-tortured mind! You’ll find all the information for drop-in yoga classes, fitness classes and more on the White Ibiza Yoga & Class Calendar… or why not call in one of Ibiza’s personal training or yoga experts to come to your villa?
6. It’s good for doing absolutely nothing! Let’s be honest – how often do you really, really ever get to do absolutely nothing? Nada, zip, zilch? My guess is, practically never, and if my own experience of being on holiday is anything to go by… well, you have such a packed schedule most of the time, you need a holiday to recover from your holiday when you get back. So kick back in your big, plush hotel bed. Snuggle on the sofa in the villa. Watch movies, binge watch some new TV shows or read a book. Even better – download the latest edition of the White Ibiza iPad Magazine (or every edition – they’re all archived and free!) and start researching and planning exactly what your next move is… once the rain has stopped!