Beauty blog: Skin preparation
Ibiza hair and make-up experts Smack Ibiza work with the philosophy that beautiful make-up starts with the skin. Creative directors Corina Smith and Sara Muhammad say to achieve fresh, gorgeous skin with make-up, you need you look after and treat your skin at all times. This includes wearing a high SPF everyday, following a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water and having a good skin care routine.
Follow Smack Ibiza’s tips on how to create a ‘polished’ skin for all skin tones.
For all three girls in our photos, we used REN’s sensitive skin range to prepare the skin.
- REN Cleansing Milk applied in massaging circular movements and then removed with damp cotton pads.
- Followed by REN 3 in1 Cleansing Water.
- REN Global Skin Moisturiser applied all over or where needed on the face.
- SPF50 La Roche Posay – good for sensitive skins. Helps to protect the skin from burning and prevents premature ageing.
- We love NARS Primer to smooth out skin’s texture before applying foundation.
KIM & JOSELYN – MEDIUM & DARKER SKIN TONES
- We used MAC Select Cover in NW35 to conceal any blemishes and MAC Moisture Select cover to hide any shadows or redness lurking under the eye area. Dab a touch of the Select Cover to neutralise darkness on the eyelids too – this has a natural brightening effect on the eyes without having to use shadow.
- Followed by Bare Minerals Stroke Of Light under eyes to brighten. This has a super lightweight feel and can be used throughout day for touch-ups to keep eyes awake and sparkling.
- Airbrush or just simply use a buffing brush to polish the MAC PRO HD foundation (in NC40 for Kim, NC50 for Joselyn), which we love, onto the skin as it is perfect in the Ibiza’s Mediterranean heat, and is super flawless with its lightweight silicone base. Need more coverage? Simply apply more and see it set in a few minutes. No powder needed! You can create a super lightweight to medium-full coverage this way.
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick is a great product for a bronze contour, natural colour or highlighter for skin’s like Kim’s. For Joselyn’s skin tone, opt for Bobbi Brown Bronzer (‘Dark’) instead. Apply this to the cheeks area lightly, concentrating on the top of the cheekbones and also underneath. Then use the leftover powder on your brush to dust around the temples and tip of the nose.
- If shine is your worst enemy, we recommend using MAC Blot Powder as it does not contain talc like most powders, which ends up looking cakey if applied too often. With the blotting powder, just remove the excess oil with a tissue and reapply to shine prone areas such as the T-zone.
- Curl lashes and apply a light coat of mascara or even a clear mascara – also good for taming unruly eyebrows – to keep the look more natural.
- Finish with a dash of REN Vitamin Lip Balm for a flawless and natural look.
MAI – PALE SKIN TONE
- Using MAC Pro Conceal & Correct Palette in Light, we blended NW20/W10/pale pink and lightly buffed with a foundation brush to even the skin tone and cover any redness. It’s always a good idea to mix and play with different shades until you find the tone that is right for you. The best place to ‘swatch’ for colour is the lower part of the cheek and jaw line – not the hand! Apply at least two similar shades and the one that disappears into the skin is the one for you.
- Less is more when it come to under-eye concealers. Using a brush we applied Bobbi Brown Under Eye Creamy Concealer ‘Light Bisque’ evenly then dabbed lightly with the finger.
- We brightened the under eye area with YSL Radiant Touch No1. This is great to use as a ‘finishing effect’ under the eyes. It sets your concealer, brightens and reflects light.
- A very light dusting of Nars Laguna Bronzer was applied to where the sun would naturally kiss the face, across the forehead, down the nose and over cheeks.
- Nars Skin Illuminator ‘Orgasm’ is a great lightweight, liquid product that can be applied lightly (with fingers) over mak-up or on its own. It has a slight sheen and illuminating effect on the skin, leaving it looking healthy and glowing. Apply over cheekbones, above brows, tip of nose and even a touch under the eyes.
- Use Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Base used on the lids to remove redness and neutralise skin tone.
- Curl lashes then add one coat of non-heavy mascara.
- Use MAC Omega Shadow to slightly define brows and MAC Brow Gel to hold in place.
- Finish with a touch of YSL Radiant Touch on lips to dull redness and a slick of REN Vitamin Lip Balm on the lips.