Get the look: Low-key luxury
Looking effortlessly chic and flawless on holiday isn’t quite as easy as rolling out of your hotel bed, tossing on a kaftan and floating out to the pool – unless you’re Doutzen Kroes, Alessandra Ambrosio or Rosie Huntington-Whiteley that is.
Presuming you’re not a Victoria’s Secret Angel, read on – pro make-up artist Corina Smith – co-founder of Smack Ibiza – gives you the lowdown on looking low-key but luxurious, a look she created for model Jane on our most recent editorial shoot.
Click here to view and shop the Poolside Perfection shoot
- “Jane had really good skin,” says Corina of our gorgeous model. “So I didn’t need to do too much to it. As always, I started by prepping the skin with products from the REN Sensitive range and added sunscreen so her skin was protected while we were shooting by the pool.”
- “I buffed a little of the MAC HD Airbrush Foundation onto her skin – not using the airbrush this time. I used a buffing brush, really lightly buffing a small amount of the product onto her skin, blending outwards. I used a mixture of NW15 and NC30 to suit Jane’s skin. There was no need to add any powder – it created the perfect finish.”
- To give Jane’s eyes just a hint of definition without looking overdone – she was by the pool all day after all – Corina used Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow in ‘Champagne’ as a highlighter all over the lids. “Then I added ‘Warm Matte Brown’ onto the lower lid to create a very soft, smokey eyeliner and applied just a little gold just over the lid.”
- Corina applied a natural set of lashes to Jane for the shoot – this step is optional, depending on whether you’ll actually be taking a plunge into the pool.
- “I brushed NARS Illuminator in ‘Orgasm’ over the top of Jane’s cheeks, just to give a nice healthy glow and then added a little bit of MAC Blush in ‘Peaches’ – a lovely corally orange tone.”
- “I filled the lips in with NARS Lip Liner in ‘Fantasia’ and then slicked it over with some balm.
- Defined brows are a big trend this summer, one Corina incorporated into this look. “I brushed the brows upwards and then defined them with a tone that was just slightly lighter that the natural brown colour of Jane’s eyebrows – the trick with this look is to always use a colour that is lighter than your natural shade if you want it to appear natural.”